Criteria for living in the Greek Leadership Village
In order to qualify to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) license agreement for the Greek Leadership Village & Adelphi 1, a chapter must meet the following criteria:
- Chapters must be officially recognized* by the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life, including but not limited to:
- Membership and active status in the respective governing council,
- Chartered or non-colony status** and
- Designation of an active chapter advisor.
*The complete list of recognition criteria for fraternities and sororities is available from the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life.**Chapters that are in non-colony status may provide documentation of their chartering date from their inter/national organization and can still be considered to license a facility.
- Chapters must be in “good standing” which is defined in the following manner:
- Chapter has no outstanding university, governing council, and/or inter/national organization community standards/disciplinary outcomes (chapter can be working toward resolution),
- Chapter has no pending disciplinary action (an open investigation or matter awaiting outcome), and
- Chapter has no outstanding debts to the university, their governing council, and/or the inter/national organization.
- Chapters must show evidence that they are able to meet the financial obligations of the MOU.
- Chapters must show evidence of their ability to fully occupy the intended facility with members of their organization.
- Chapter membership must be at least two (2) times the maximum occupancy of a facility (active members) in order for a group to be considered.
- Chapters that do not have two (2) times the maximum occupancy of the facility may still apply to license a facility; however, the chapter must be able to demonstrate how they will be able to ensure that occupancy of the facility is met for the full duration of the MOU and provide a financial plan for how the chapter will meet the financial obligations of the MOU agreement.
- Chapter must provide a breakdown of the number of freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors in the chapter, as well as provide a projected attrition of members by graduating year.
- Chapter must provide a plan confirming the ability to fill the required occupancy standard annually.
- Chapter must provide documentation of any applicable local and inter/national chapter housing policies and procedures. This should include specific bylaws, standing rules, or agreements that outline chapter’s process to maintain occupancy requirements, process for selection/placement of members, and accountability measures for students agreeing to reside in the facility.
- Chapters must ensure an appropriate level of management for the facility during the fall and spring semesters (these expectations would not affect occupancy during the summer term).
- A total of 5 chapter officers must live in the chapter facility at all times during the fall and spring terms*. Officers are to include:
- The elected chapter president must live in the facility for the duration of his/her term as president.
- A house manager, must live in the facility, or equivalent position, must also be elected/appointed prior to occupying the facility.
- A risk manager, must live in the facility, or equivalent position, must also be elected/appointed prior to occupying the facility.
- Two (2) additional executive board officers and/or equivalent position, must live in the facility and must also be elected/appointed prior to occupying the facility.
*Please note that due to election cycles for officers occurring on the calendar year, the previous term officers are permitted to remain living in the chapter facility and will fulfill the above requirement.
- Chapters must establish a house corporation board or facility corporation board, or the inter/national organization must have a housing corporation responsible for the execution of the MOU.
- Undergraduate members of a chapter will not be permitted to sign the MOU.
- House Corporation Board must attend regularly scheduled Fraternity & Sorority Life housing meetings, as requested.
- House Corporation Board constitution, bylaws, policies and procedures must be provided.
- Once a chapter has been given the privilege of living in the Greek Leadership Village or Adelphi 1, the chapters must participate in the Fraternity & Sorority Life Standards of Excellence program.